Newmont begins work on $1bn gold mining project in Suriname

Note* - All images used are for editorial and illustrative purposes only and may not originate from the original news provider or associated company.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

– Leave Message for Us to Get Back

Related stories

Apple Invests $500mn in MP Materials to expand U.S. supply

In a recent move, technology giant Apple Invests $500mn...

Egypt and Saudi Arabia Exploring Mining Cooperation Options

The Egyptian minister of petroleum and mineral resources, Karem...

Steel Tariffs To Protect Domestic Steel Industry In Canada

Prime Minister Mark Carney of Canada on July 16,...

New Mining Law in Egypt to Shift EMRA Into Economic Entity

A new amendment to the mineral resources law in...

Newmont Mining has started construction on its $1bn Merian Gold project in Suriname, South America.

 

Located around 40 miles south of Moengo, the 1,235 acre project belongs to Newmont’s wholly owned entity Suriname Gold Company (Surgold), reported The Washington Times.

 

With gold reserves of 4.2 million ounces, the mine will have three open pits, a processing plant, waste-rock disposal areas, a tailings storage facility and a camp for workers.

 

Commercial production at the mine is expected to start in late 2016 after which Newmont expects the mine to produce an average of 300,000oz to 400,000oz of gold a year during its 11-year life.

 

The company is likely to incur costs of $750 to $850 per ounce in the first five years and $825 to $960 per ounce for the life of the mine.

 

Newmont Mining CEO and president Gary Goldberg told the media group: “Our team has been on the ground in Suriname for ten years, shaping Merian into a profitable project and securing a solid position in the Guiana Shield.”

 

The Suriname Government has an option to buy 25% ownership stake in the project.

 

Surgold will employ 2,500 people during the development of the project and around 1,300 when it reaches its full operation. Newmont had previously said that it has fixed its gold production target between 4.7 million ounces and five million ounces.

Latest stories

Related stories

Apple Invests $500mn in MP Materials to expand U.S. supply

In a recent move, technology giant Apple Invests $500mn...

Egypt and Saudi Arabia Exploring Mining Cooperation Options

The Egyptian minister of petroleum and mineral resources, Karem...

Steel Tariffs To Protect Domestic Steel Industry In Canada

Prime Minister Mark Carney of Canada on July 16,...

New Mining Law in Egypt to Shift EMRA Into Economic Entity

A new amendment to the mineral resources law in...

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

– Leave Message for Us to Get Back