ORICA, a global provider to the mining industry, places great emphasis on its annual graduate program to ensure the company stays ahead of the pack. The company is serious about investing in its future through graduate development and has a three year rotational program providing hands-on experience and maximum learning opportunities.
Orica is the largest provider of commercial explosives and blasting systems to the mining and infrastructure markets, global leader in provision of ground support in mining and tunneling, and leading supplier of sodium cyanide for gold extraction. It has a strong portfolio of manufacturing and distribution assets across Australia Pacific, Asia, EMEA, Latin America and North America.
Orica believes its graduate program is a strategic priority for success in building leaders from within the organization. It says the program rewards hard work, exposes participants to all levels of the organization and provides real responsibility, real diversity and real opportunities to travel.
The program includes:
- Three diverse rotations across different parts of the business – each rotation 12 months in duration and usually different geographic locations;
- Opportunity for international rotations in the third year of the program;
- Face-to-face graduate development workshops each year with a focus on preparing graduates for operating in a global environment;
- Remote learning sessions with a graduate peer group, facilitated by Orica’s leaders;
- Structured networking opportunities with Orica’s senior leadership teams;
- An assigned mentor for career guidance, support and advice;
- A nominated graduate Buddy in the first year for peer-to-peer support; and
- Involvement in local community projects and the option to be involved in Orica’s Graduate Sustainability Committee.
The program is integrated into most areas of Orica’s business. Streams available are Technical Blast Services; Mining Field Operations; General Engineering; Commercial; and Supply Chain.